Friday, June 27, 2008

Who, What, When, Where, Why

Is there room in the blogosphere for yet another person's random rantings? Presumably yes, since here it is and here I am...and, I s'pose, here you are, too. It seems appropriate that my first post give a sense of what this blog is about. And what it isn't about. In fact, that's easier to articulate. It's not a political blog, though I can't guarantee a political point of view won't creep in from time to time. It's not a blog of ideas, since those are weighty things and I am weightier physically than intellectually. It's not an ego blog, though surely it's about me and what I do and feel and think; what I won't do, however, is talk about myself simply for the sake of having my reality accessible to the invisible online masses. My goal is to use this blog as a platform for sending up trial balloons about projects I'm thinking of undertaking (or currently in the throes of), sharing inspiring and/or entertaining words and images, and discussing things that move me - WITH THE PRIMARY GOAL OF ESTABLISHING CHANNELS OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN AND AMONG LIKE-MINDED SOULS. These bits of connection need not be acknowledged. Feel free to treat me like a street musician who has helped you while away the time until your bus came; I'm as happy to think my words will resonate after you've left as I would be had you dropped a coin, a note, or a Charleston Chew candy bar in my tin.

So if you've read this far, there's a decent chance you might read a little more. But rather than test your patience and generosity, allow me to bulletize:

WHO: My name is Jason Rubin, I was nine months old when JFK was shot, and I have been a professional writer since graduating college in 1985. I am a lifelong resident of Boston and its suburbs. I am married and have two daughters. To quote Hair, "I am Aquarius, destined for greatness or madness."

WHAT: This is my blog, titled after a phrase from the lyrics to "Surf's Up," the greatest composition from popular music's greatest genius, Brian Wilson. I'm not sure what a dove nested tower is supposed to represent, but it hasn't kept you away so I shan't dwell on it.

WHEN: As with most blogs, I presume, I will add new posts when I feel like it. I am the kind of person who speaks only when I have something to say. I've been told I'm a good listener, but just because I'm not talking doesn't mean I am listening. On the other hand, it's easier to listen when you're not being listened to, and you can learn more when you're not putting your own points across. So here, then, is the deal: I post when the spirit moves me, you comment when the spirit moves you.

WHERE: Anywhere my MacBook Pro takes me.

WHY: Well, now, that's a good question, isn't it? Why indeed. Maybe that will be clear to us both once this thing picks up a head of steam. For now, "why not?" will have to do.

No comments: